We can handle your Divorce from woe to go – take the whole headache from you.
To apply for a Divorce in Australia you need to be:
- Be an Australian citizen, OR
- Live in Australia and regard Australia as your permanent home; OR
- Ordinarily live in Australia and have so lived for at least 12 months before applying.
A Divorce does not sort out property or arrangements for children, although within a Divorce Application you must provide detail of any children under 18, and the arrangements which are in place regarding co-parenting. Property and children are otherwise separate to a Divorce.
- You must have been separated for 12 months prior to applying
- When your Application is filed there is generally a 6-8 week wait for your Hearing
- If you have children under 18 the Applicant parent must attend at the Court Hearing, the other parent does not need to attend unless they want to
- If you have children under 18 but do a “joint Application” then the parent/s are not required to attend the Court Hearing
- If you have been married less than 2 years you are required to attend counselling
- The current filing fee for a Divorce is $845.00
- At the Hearing a Divorce Order will be made, but will not take effect until one month and one day after the Hearing – after this, you will be free to re-marry
- Any provision for the willmaker’s former spouse is revoked by Divorce, so if you have a will, you will likely need to re-do it
What we do – take instructions, give legal advice, draft the Application and accompanying documents, execute the documentation with you, file to Court, serve on your spouse/partner, attend the Court hearing as may be required, and obtain your Divorce Order.
Contact Sempre Vero Lawyers to speak to a solicitor about arranging your divorce.
YOUR FAMILY LAW ENQUIRY
CONTACT SEMPRE VERO LAWYERS
Sempre Vero means ‘always true’ – it is our promise that you can expect a client/lawyer relationship that is honest & reliable.